Saturday, Jan 4, 1908

Winifred and I drove downtown with Della in afternoon.  Went up to the depot to see if Harry was coming up in evening. "Prettily, prettily."  Bernidine Seward.  Ha! Ha! In evening Sum came up but Harry could not because Les did not get back in time.

************************************************************************
Transcriber's note:
Since Harry is mentioned in the same sentence as Sum, I am guessing Grace is referring to Harry Hawkins.

In 1910, 2 years after Grace wrote this diary, she was living "next door" to 2 Hawkins families, according to the 1910 census.

Harry Hawkins, born Jan 1871, lived with his wife Marion "Mary" and 3 children in one of the nearby residences.

Sumner "Sum" Hawkins, born Jan 20 1885, lived in another residence with his mother Jennie, born Sep 1842.  Sumner is listed as the head of household.  I got his full birthdate from his WWI draft registration card.  (By that time his wife Mildred, born 1894,  had joined the household.)  I am guessing that Harry Hawkins is Sum's uncle.

Regarding Bernidine Seward, I have looked in census records and family history library, but I can't find anyone by that name.

I also don't know who Les is.

No comments:

Post a Comment